Iconic, Award winning social media competition:
Full marketing strategy and execution on brand set piece.
Using social media as the vehicle celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Rank Group PLC.
The Search For The Rank Gongman. In celebration of The Rank Group’s 75th birthday a search was launched a competition to find a modern day Gongman. We wanted to keep it fun, playing n the “Carry on..” films that helped make the Rank Group famous so there were two categories:
- Freestyle – an interpretation of gonging (in a humerous way)
- Classic – one for the beach bods
Here is the competition launch video:
Bringing the Gongman back to life
Working with 1media and fitness model Matt Dunford we recreated the iconic scene of a man hitting a gong. A full 3D remodelled version of the iconic scene was included in the “How To Enter” video. We also set up a twitter account for the gongman himself as well as a branded YouTube page where all entries were held.
Here are a summary of some of the entries across the two categories:
The competition launched online and was promoted through the social media properties of the Rank Group in Blue Sq, Grosvenor Casinos and Mecca Bingo. We held specially promoted events at the casinos encouraging customers to enter the competition driving new members and registrations. We attended sponsored events at Wolverhampton Races, GUKPT Poker tournament as well as freshers fairs.
- This campaign won a “Golden Hedgehog” PR award.
- 1000 entries
- Drove engagement through physical events
- Got coverage in 4 major print titles. 71 online pieces of coverage in total including Mail Online / Telegraph etc (see attached)
- Drove over 2000 customers to live over 60 live events promoting the competition
- Total of 178 New customers generated directly
- Total of 25,000 views of all video content
- Blogged and tweeted about by film experts and actors
Company: The Rank Group // Mecca Bingo
Role: Social Media Specialist
Video Production: 1Media Ltd